Other elements of my life are infringing on my blog life this week. Instead of my usual very deep, incredibly insightful, humility-laden, and overly wordy posts, I am going to show you some glamour shots of the woven result of the long warp I’ve been thinking of as Rapunzel’s braid.
Day Six—Back to Basics
For the last towel, I wanted to see what would happen if I treadled differently than any of the patterns in the book I was using. I did the most basic pattern I could think of and ended up with a herringbone effect! So, in addition to the 52 patterns in the sampler (which you’ll see tomorrow!), I learned that other nice patterns can be created with this basic set-up of the loom.
I went back to colors that are the real me, and combined navy and dark green. Pretty in an understated way but even I think they could use something to perk them up!
The warp threads were 7.5 yards longs (a little less than 7 meters). They were mostly unbleached Cottolin, a mix of cotton and linen, with a few threads of dark blue to make vertical stripes.
The project started as a pattern sampler that creates a grid of four patterns across and thirteen patterns from top to bottom. By a combination of the way the loom is threaded and the ways the treadles are pushed, I could get many different patterns in one piece of fabric. For reasons I can’t explain, that makes me ever so happy.
For anyone REALLY interested, I got the pattern for this Rosepath Sampler from pages 16 and 17 in Marguerite Davison’s A Handweaver’s Pattern Book.
Once I was done the sampler portion of the project, I had enough warp left to make six dishtowels. I love dishtowels! I used a different treadling pattern on each one and played around with some different colors.
I’ll show a towel each day this week. On the seventh day, we won’t rest—I’ll show you the sampler, which turned out well enough to make me begin to feel like a real weaver!
I have lots of evidence of how kind and supportive you are, so don’t feel the need to comment every day on every towel!